Friday, June 22, 2012

Flying Feathers

Yesterday we met with Stuart, the owner of Growing Generations.  Their office was up on the 13th floor of a high rise on Wilshire.  Ironically the same high rise where I got my first full time job out of college with ARTISTdirect.com [At the time it was #2 to Mtv.com.  It was also the first friendship I formed with a gay man, my boss, Ritch.  I wasn't out of the closet to anyone, or myself, and seeing him in a healthy long term same-sex relationship was comforting and probably the start of my very long coming out process.  Anyway back to Growing Generations...]

We instantly clicked with Stuart and spent 1.5 hours discussing the ins and outs of surrogacy through his agency and making small talk about common interests, kids, etc.  He briefly mentioned a falcon that regularly devours birds near the windows.  "You don't always see him," he said, "but you'll see feathers floating about."

Growing Generations really has their act together with incorporating technology to assist them (and IP's) with the entire process.  We were also impressed with the extent of research done on the surrogates.

Just as we were about to leave and enjoying the view, there it was.  Feathers.  Floating about.  Full falcon.  Poor bird.

We had about 2 hours to kill before our monthly facilitator meeting -- we both facilitate at the LA Gay & Lesbian Center.  So of course we went shopping and headed to the Beverly Center.  I'm going to go broke when we have kids buying every adorable outfit.  I know they grow out of them quickly.  I know they get stained with spit up and poo.  But I don't care.  Plus Allen and I have a serious sneaker problem.  We're like the Imelda Marcos of sneakers.  This baby is going to be born with a pair of Puma's on their feet.

Sneaker Chart.  Made with love, for me, by Allen.
This is just part of my collection.

And he picture labeled every box!
Best. Birthday Present. Ever.

While shopping and ogling baby clothes, we talked about surrogacy in the US vs India.  Do we spend the money and experience it here?  Do we save the money for a house and backyard to raise our family in and do it in India?  There were many other questions, pros, and cons, listed but that's probably good for another post.

Plus we're supposed to meet with Circle Surrogacy next week.  I think we may cancel the appointment.  

Meanwhile I can't sleep and that's just from thinking about the process!  I'm going to be a wreck once we sign papers.

I think I'll go online and buy a pair of sneakers...

6 comments:

  1. Hello. I just found your blog. I SOOOOO remember this part of our journey.
    My partner and I met with GG a few years before we ultimately achieved our family in India (at SCI). We have 3 girls who are now 21 months old!
    If you have any interest in hearing about our experience and/or would like a to connect, you can send me a note at faithtovishwas AT Gmail.com
    In any event, best wishes....it's an extraordinary ride whichever path you choose.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks, Edward! We'll definitely be in touch if we have any questions :)

      Delete
  2. Thanks for following our blog. We're looking forward to reading about your experience. We live in India and did not use SCI, but had a wonderful experience with our doctor. Just like Edward, I definitely remember agonizing over which route was best for us. Thanks for sharing your thoughts!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. It's such a tough decision! Thanks for following us back. :)

      Delete
  3. Hey There....loooooove the name of your blog so cute! I totally understand where you are at on your journey. It took us months to decide to go with India and SCI. We looked at the US, Thailand and India and after deciding on India we nailed it down to 2 clinics only in India and SCI came out ontop. We wanted to have more than one child (hence our blog is bless us with bubs - in the plural sense) It is a very personal choice and you will know what is right for you. All the very best of luck and I look forward to hearing about your journey

    ReplyDelete